When I was looking at cutting back our sugar intake, I had a friend try to help me figure out what my biggest struggle was. It was quite obvious….CHOCOLATE! I’m not a milk chocolate eater either. I like real, dark, luscious chocolate, with it’s bittery sweetness that melts in your mouth! Mmmmm…
She suggested some raw chocolate pecan turtles she posted on her blog. I gave it a try and fell in love with them. My husband doesn’t like pecans, so I ventured out trying to utilize other nuts and ingredients. We used honey instead of agave because I’ve heard some mixed information regarding agave. Here are a few we tried. I used the same cacao base and topped it with pecans, almonds, pecans, walnuts, and macadamia nuts. I also rolled a macadamia nut in one and then rolled it in coconut.
- Raw Cacao Powder
- Almond Butter
- Agave or Honey
- Nuts or toppings of your choice
Why choose Cacao?
It has health benefits that are missing in typical chocolate. Raw cacao is known as a superfood. Here are just a few of it’s possible benefits.
- Flavanoids (a type of antioxidants)
- High amounts of Fiber
- High levels of Sulfur and magnesium
- May increase cardiovascular health and stroke risk
- May increase good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol
- May decrease blood pressure and glucose levels
- May decrease depression
- May increase immune system functioning